Wednesday 12 March 2008

Past Blogs

I am going to copy the past blogs from the old site here by date....
February 27th..Getting Ready
Well, I think my list is just about complete for our trip to Myrtle Beach. Just when I think I've added everything I need another thought goes through my head, and so thankfully I just have to bring the list up in WORD and add another item. I suppose I'm rather anal about having lists. I have lists for just about everything, but I haven't forgotten anything important yet on any of our trips.This trip requires extra 'stuff' because we'll be travelling from cold weather to warmer and we have to pack for the cold. No water can be hooked up for the first night, but hopefully we will hit warmer weather on the second and can hook up some water. Will be rather stinky in the MH if we can't get into the shower!!We're heading up on Friday to pick up 'the beast' and wouldn't you know it, they predict snow. Of course!!! What else!!! But like Ken says, hey we live in Canada. Yeah right.......

February 28th..
Short post today...still predicting snow for tomorrow. YUK YUK YUK!!! I'm a little nervous about Ken driving the MH home but he doesn't seem too concerned, so I guess I shouldn't be either.Hopefully it won't snow too much.

March 1st..
Well we made it!! It just started to snow when we were leaving the dealership. It's a good 1 1/2 hour drive so by the time we got home it was really starting to come down. But it did get much worse as the day progressed. Thankfully we made it back before it got really bad. I was a nervous wreck following behind Ken in the SUV but he says it's so heavy that the MH really hugs the road. But it doesn't do so well in alot of wind, cause it's so tall. I noticed that when a very big semi would go by, Ken had to fight to keep it straight. Now it's sitting in our driveway, covered in snow. Today, I hope to get out in it, turn on the heater and start loading 'er up. I guess I should tell you a bit about it for those of you who don't know. It's a Gulfstream Ultra 31 feet. Really very lovely inside, has a bedroom at the back. It's complete, totally self sufficient, air/furnace/fridge/stove/bathroom/shower etc.etc. We love it. Anyhow will post later in the week, will be busy getting things ready.

March 3rd..
Been really busy the last couple days, loading, loading, and loading. Have all the households things reloaded. Now getting our duds in there. You learn as you go, and I’ve changed things around a bit to make things more convenient or to make better use of the space.Bed is all made up WITH the electric blanket on it. Should be warm and cozy. Actually it is quite warm in there and I don’t even have the furnace turned on. Just plugged in a little ceramic heater and have it on low.Will finish up the rest of the packing over the next couple days. I always have to nag at Ken to get him to set out his clothes!!My sister leaves tomorrow morning for the drive down. They are in a car though not a MH so will be staying at a hotel for 1 night on the way down.More later………..

March 6th..
Well here we are in Washington PA. It was a good drive, a little long, getting through Toronto rush hour traffic was no fun. Took us 8 hours to go 400 miles, but you can’t rush these big beasts. It was a good drive, nice and sunny. Something flew off a truck or a truck ran over something and it apparently hit the side of the MH and mucked up the fiberglass exterior. More $$$$$. Could have been worse, could have hit the windshield.We are settled in here at the KOA, park is empty, gee I wonder why. Had a bit of a frustrating moment. We just got the MH out of being winterized, as this was the first year we have it, we are noobs. The person at the service department told me to turn the bypass lever to here to turn it on. So I did, no hot water. We fiddled with this, even got the KOA owner to come and have a look at it, then got a brain wave to flip the switch the other way, and voila, hot water. Wasn’t impressed, I can tell you. By this time I had boiled 2 kettles of water to wash the supper dishes. And if being steaming mad could have produced water I would have had lots!!!!
Jackson, our golden, wasn’t the happiest camper on the block, but Maggie, our lab, was a real angel. We’re hoping the Jackie gets better. Please, please. We’re heading for Wytheville, Virginia tomorrow. It’s a shorter trip than today. Till then……………….

March 7th..
Well tonight we’re in Wytheville, Virginia. Temperature is 46 F. Sorry still under the old school. Overcast, dreary.
Drive today was not nice. It was pouring, and foggy. That is really not nice when you’re driving through the mountains. My nerves were a little frayed!!! This sucker can really pick up speed going down those mountains!
Jackson was much better today, still not totally relaxed, but certainly much better.
This is a nice campground, but we’re not really interested in that tonight. Just as long as it has water, electricity, sewers, and cable TV. And it does have all of it.
Tonight I made corn chowder and toasted bacon sandwiches for supper.
Tomorrow we hope to make MB by 4 PM cause if we don’t the car rental place will be closed and it doesn’t open till Monday. We only have 325 miles left to do.
We had an incident today. Ken was pulling into a gas station and he’s still not sure how it happened but he hit those metal protective thingy’s at the end of the stations. He was sure he had swung wide enough to miss it, but he didn’t. Caused quite a lot of damage to the side of the MH. Cosmetic, but nonetheless, damage, and probably costly, cause it’s fiberglass. Hopefully insurance will cover most of it. That with whatever hit us the first day out on the other side, and it’s not been good. I was afraid that maybe the damage he did today damaged the slide out, but we got it out tonight, let’s see tomorrow when we try and put it back in!
Destination tomorrow……Myrtle Beach.

March 8th..
WE MADE IT!!! YIPEE!!! What a day, it was terrible. It was so very, very windy, Ken had a real fight on his hands to keep the MH on the road. Really, he was white knuckled. A few times I was a little nervous, cause it caused him to swerve into the other lane. It sure rocked that big puppy of ours. But we’re here, bought groceries, beer, wine, we’re set.
Tomorrow, we’re going walking on the beach with the dogs, with some friends of ours who flew down here this morning. It will be cool, but hey, it’s not Toronto!!
I was talking to my grandson and he told me they got 16 inches of snow today in Toronto. Hope it’s gone by the time we get back.
Had lasagna tonight for supper, it was delish!!!! Used my over in the MH for the very first time and it worked like a charm. This is a very nice RV park. They have a playland for dogs! Jackie will like that.It’s 8pm and we just finished supper, lasagna, it was very good. Having a glass of wine and unwinding from the past 3 days on the road, driving through the mountains in rain and fog really sucks.
Till tomorrow then….night.

March 9th..
What a great start to the day. We met up with our friends and went for a 2-½ hour walk on the beach. It was chilly when we started but after trudging through the sand for a while we sure warmed up fast. Dogs loved it, Maggie was smiling, I know, and Jackson was bee bopping along like crazy. Maggie was so happy and I think I saw surprise on her face, when she saw her Aunty Susan walking along the beach. Now they are down for the count.
Ken is outside attempting to put up the sunroom on the MH. That way the dogs can come and out at their own will. I mean that is the reason we got it.
It’s so nice to get up and know you don’t have to pack up and get on the road.
Just have the Platters playing on the DVD.
Today is very nice, sunny not too warm, still have the furnace running, but sure beats up north. Weather network says it’s 46 F. Supposed to be 61 F tomorrow.
My sister and husband dropped by had a couple drinks then went out for supper.
Won’t be late tonight, that 2 ½ hour walk pooped me right out.

March 10th..
Today was beautiful, almost got to 60 F. We went for 1 ½ hour walk on the beach. It was really warm. There were a lot of people taking advantage of the lovely weather and were walking, jogging, or just meandering on the beach today.
Went to a big store down here called Camping World. If you have a MH, you have to go there. Had to control myself and only buy what I went there for.
When we came back here, we went for a bike ride through the RV park. It really is a huge place. There’s a place at the back where people have their own private MH, but these stay here all the time. Like the trailer parks in Florida. Most are nice, some are kind of tacky!
Friends or ours are coming over here in awhile for a drink.
The dogs sure are getting a lot of exercise here. They seem to really love the walks on the beach. Just about everyone stops to pet them, and they sure seem to love the attention. They’ve become quite the slugs while here cause they’re so tired all the time. This is a good thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment