Thursday, 28 July 2011

Summer Routine

I see I have a few new followers.  I hope I haven’t missed someone.  A big welcome to Mike and Pat, I’ve been following their blog for awhile now.  Then there’s Kitty, and Davender who doesn’t appear to have a blog.  If you have one somewhere else let me know and I’ll update.

Summer has taken on it’s routine, which is just fine by me.  We had our family BBQ last Saturday and the weather couldn’t have been better.  It was just my 3 kids and their families, which made 14 of us.  The grandkids spent the day in the pool, it was a hot one.  We all took a dip at some time or the other to cool off.  Unfortunately I didn’t get any photos as I was busy playing hostess, making sure glasses were filled and food flowing.  Couldn’t believe the amount of food devoured for such a small crowd.  I guess swimming really gives you an appetite!

Last week we spent a couple days up near Peterborough in a campground where our very dear friends have a permanent park model.  It was a great visit we had with them.  Unfortunately I can’t say the same about the campground.  The roads were really tight driving for our 38 foot rig and that’s with the car off.  The site was so uneven that even with our jacks down we were on quite a slant.  There was garbage in our fire pit, the utility pole was almost falling over and NO wireless and NO cable.  There was even an empty beer bottle on our site.  YUK !!  All this for the price of $42.  I thought that was a rip off.  I did write the management a letter, but so far have not heard anything back.  I doubt very much if we will go back again.

We had some extremely hot weather last week, and I think the rest of the country and parts of the US had the same.  It was a real stinker.  Had to really make sure that Jackson took lots of swims in the pool if he was outside.  He doesn’t do well with the heat.

We did some work on the rig.  The porch light burnt out and when Ken went to remove the cover to replace it, it crumbled in his hands.  Not one RV dealer had one that fit so I found one for $5 on EBAY.  It arrived and has been installed. One of the day/night shades broke it’s string.  I checked out how to restring them and it didn’t look easy and I hate them anyway.  So I ordered blackout shades from Home Depot and Ken installed them.  It was a bit of an effort working in such a tight spot because there is a valance there that we wanted to keep as it looked nice.  Any how they are up and look fantastic.  Now I’m thinking hmmmmmm, I should do the other windows.  I just heard a loud groan coming from Ken’s direction !!!! 

We want to put some kind of a gizmo under the slideout awnings as if we have a heavy rain it tends to pool up there.  We saw, when we were in Panama City Beach, someone has very cleverly created an little stand made out of plumbing white PVC pipes and it just lifted the awning enough so that the water didn’t pool.  So Ken is going to measure what height he needs to create these.  When he gets them done I’ll post a picture of them.  Tomorrow we are putting ‘the beast’ back on the storage lot for a few weeks, then we’re taking her again for another 4 day jaunt.  

Well until later then..take care.


  1. Your family BBQ sounds like it was a huge success. Grandkids and pools seem to go together like peanut butter and jam. For the first time in years, we did not have a big backyard gathering this year. Just too much work - going to let the kids take over the hosting I think! I'm retiring...

  2. Yep, I sure know about those 'loud groans' alright.

  3. Cool idea about the noodles. I think I'll try that next! :)